Monday, July 09, 2007

Sock knitting is for crazy people.

Yep, that's right. Especially with that teeny sock yarn. And teeny needles. Starting out, I'm feeling all thumbs! I'm not saying I'm giving up or anything - no way! What would I do with all of my sock yarn? Give it away? HAH! That's how I got most of it, actually - people giving it away. Hmm.
For the tour de france knit along I'm attempting to make my first pair of socks! Or one sock. Or half a sock. Okay, well, here is what I've got so far. Don't laugh! I know its hardly anything!Yes, it's about half an inch. Someday it might be a Jaywalker! Perhaps. So, you know, I started with some lovely Addi Turbo circular needles - I couldn't figure up from down, in from out, and those needles kept smacking me as I turned the thing about trying to figure out how to join. And so I got irritated (might've been the heat that made me so irritable, though), and ripped out the cast on stitches. And pulled out some bamboo dpns. Maybe next time I'll try the two circular thing.

Here's how "tomato" is coming:About waist deep or so. I can see the mistakes from here. I got sick of dropping the blue, picking up the yellow during the fair isle portion and attempted to hold one yarn with one hand and the other with the other hand. And I don't know how to knit continental, mind. It worked, and I was pleased with how fast it went.... but, uh, I kind of lost some of the stitches on that third houndstooth stripe. Oh well! I still feel like I learned something, and I really really really don't feel like ripping back. I'm too lazy. :)

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are going to love knitting socks when you get into the rhythmn with it.

Meg said...

The sock is looking promising!

Lauren said...

You're doing great! I got so frustrated with my first sock that I put it down for a long time, but now I'm addicted.

And your tomato is looking awesome!

Cecile said...

Good for you learning to use the dpns. I know lots of people who love them. Me I can't do it with dpns. they get tangled up and I lose my place. I prefer the 2-circular method. Each his (or her) own, I guess.

Carrie K said...

Tomato looks great. Isn't two handed knitting fun? Not so much easy, but I always feel so accomplished.

Go socks! I knit socks and I haven't gotten to a heel turn lately so don't feel bad.

Romi said...

You'll get used to it. Or not. I hate knitting socks, to be honest! ::g::

Tomato looks *great*!

Katie J said...

I promise it gets better. I recommend getting another set of needles and starting the match though.

Lovin' the tomato!

ck said...

I felt the same way with my first sock. It definitely gets more comfortable!