Tuesday, November 06, 2007

There's a zoo in my backyard!

And there are a few of the cats and kittens who visit our yard checking out the cage we set to catch them. This is what I've been occupied with for the past few weeks - attempting to catch, neuter/spay, and release. Thus far, we have caught two females. And it's exhausting! The last one we caught is only 2 months old, and her mother was (is) quite irritated with us. The little kitten kept crying for hours after we brought her home from the vet last night, but we have to wait until today to release her! We were lucky to find a program that would pay for five cats to be spayed or neutered- but, as you can see - we have more than five! In fact, we have more than ten....

I have been knitting a little, but as blogger is refusing more photos...that will have to wait til next time...

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

Can you enlist a neighbor or friend to take in some of the kitties to get around the limit of 5?

Katie J said...

That's awesome. Bully for you!

Carrie K said...

Oh, they're so cute! And good for you.

Jennifer said...

You are a hero! Good work.

Wendy said...

We had a squirrel that kept coming and eating our tomatoes, so my husband would trap him and take him into another neighborhood. He kept returning (or it was a different squirrel). Anyway, one day, my husband came back from a relocation trip with a frown on his face. The squirrel, when he was let go, ran in the wrong direction and got run over by a car.

MiniLaura said...

yay for you! I feed some ferals but I leave the trapping and fixing to a woman across the street. She has a trap and much more tasty (and smelly) food.

Anyway, I realized that I hadn't answered your question from a month ago. You asked:

"I always wonder how people with cats block their knitting (outside? in closets?). Apparently I should let my cats on the knitting. But scout doesn't drag it off?"

I block my stuff in a spare room and close the door. Scout and the other cats don't do much with the knitting, but I don't leave it out very much just in case it is tempting. The most Scout has done was pull out the pins while I was pinning out a lace shawl. I was more concerned about her than I was about the shawl.

RheLynn said...

wow what a crew! good deed you are doing here :)

2 months old is tiny!