Thursday, February 22, 2007

A thursday in the life of thursday...

Elisa described her "day in a life" a couple of weeks ago - and it sounded like fun to me. What *do* I actually do? I waste a lot of time, that's for sure!
6:30 am - Chester wakes me up with an obnoxious meow (or four). Currently it's still an acceptable time, but when the sun starts coming up super-early, the Chester gets up earlier. *sigh*
6:45 am - have now fed and watered all four cats (I think I did it correctly, but who knows - I'm pre-coffee)
7:00 am - Chester wants more food. This is ok, because I should really be getting up anyhow. My routine is rather boring - I feed the cats (again), put away the dishes from dinner (from the drying rack, I don't have a dishwasher), set up the coffee maker, and put water in a pot for my oatmeal and set it on the stove. And yes, I do the same thing every morning. Makes it easier to get up - routine, you know?
7:15 am - shower, etc.
8:00 am - turn on the stove to make the oatmeal
8:30 am - what was I doing? No idea, but the water has been boiling for at least twenty minutes.
8:45 am - eat breakfast and drink coffee. Yum. My favorite part of the day - often marred by cats trying to get attention by scratching the books on the mantle, attacking one another, etc.
9:00 am - wash dishes and put some food out for black fuzzy and the long-haired calico.

9:30 am - Leave for work. I walk to work, which is great. Um, this time of year, anyhow. Summer is not so fun here. I am getting a bit tired of looking at the same garbage everyday - there has been a black plastic comb in the same place for a month.

9:45 am - Arrive at work. I am extremely inconsistent. Luckily, nobody at work seems to care much. Some days I don't arrive until 11 am. This is a good day!

10:00 am - actually start working. I usually stop and say hello to people before actually doing anything worthwhile. Haha. As if the stuff I do for work is always worthwhile.
So this is my desk area. Yup. I'm a bit messy. But, I know where everything is. ;) But, you can see I have some file folders up on the "wall." And this is how it looked all day - not much changed!
I work in a lab, so behind my desk is a gas line - we burn up samples and collect the carbon for radiocarbon dating. Essentially. And I know it isn't that interesting. So that's what that mess of glass and stuff is. Those silvery containers are "dewars" that hold liquid nitrogen or isopropanol and dry ice. I've got some fun stickers on mine (Save Tibet - very colorful).
6 pm - Leave work. Well, this is what sometimes happens. Usually I am fooling around with non-work stuff before I leave. But, this was a good day. It was actually February 8th when I was documenting my day! And it's taken two whole weeks to upload the photos and type it up!
7 pm - 2 or 3 mile walk with my husband. We try to walk everyday. Sometimes the walk gets pushed to 10pm and we do the slightly shorter walk down to the university (well-lit and lots of people are around late).
8:15 pm - Dinner. My husband cooks and I "help." Some nights I have actually been cooking (!) lately - he bought me a cookbook for Christmas (a hint, perhaps?).
9:15 - coffee and a bit of knitting and chatting with my husband. Usually coffee this late is decaf. But, yes, I can drink coffee as late as 10pm and still go to sleep soon after. Crazy, huh?
11 pm - Hmm... Time for bed! Usually getting ready for the next morning and for bed takes the next half hour...and I get way-laid often. Bed time is often past midnight. Now you can see why Chester waking me up at 6 am is a bit of a problem. I think I need more sleep than 6 hours!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

The look at all the pipes and wires makes my mind go blank. Wow! I would be afraid to touch it.

Thanks for the sneak peek at your day!

Unknown said...

Okay, seriously? There was *nothing* boring about your post or your day at all! I love the brick wall in your kitchen, the kitty in the tub, the gas lines and dewars - it's all really interesting!

Thanks so much for participating!